[kismac] Re: Solution to AE Passive Mode kernel panics, unable to load Monitor Mode

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:29:29 +0800

As of R147, enabling wlt1 is now the default-PROMPTED option when you add the Airport Extreme passive driver to the list... so the user is still king, but the novice user isn't in for kernel panics.

It may still be worth adding a script as suggested by Ricardo Lugo to assist users that dare to reject the default option, but with the new warning, at least they'll know what they could be risking (because of course, there's no guarantee that such a script will be successful at preventing other things from interfering with unloading the kext, so crashes and kernel panics are still a possibility even if we do add a killer-script). Less experienced users should now get the expected results by just accepting defaults.

Oh. Interesting. Well, enabling it should be the default. Any other reasons?

On 5/2/06, Robin L Darroch <<mailto:robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

IIRC, the findings of the test you mentioned actually showed an
INCREASE in Airport Extreme performance with wlt1 enabled.  I also
use Airport Extreme for all my networking, and have noticed no
degradation of performance with wlt1 enabled.

Supposedly it slows data transfer down with normal AirPort. Someone
tested this, and didn't really find this to be the case. I haven't
found it either. There should be no real problem - I haven't noticed
anything and use AirPort a lot.

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx