[kismac] Re: Signal strength

  • From: "John Warren" <xaive1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:41:29 -0800

What about having a "Calibrate Autoscaling" mode.  Where the user
could select to run with autoscaling enabled, and would be directed to
a calibration menu.  The calibration would take place only while the
user had the calibration window open.  It could give the user a list
of known adapters (generated by adapters used by the user, not all
known adapters), it would give high and low values for received
signal, and then the values for the autoscaling.  The autoscale
numbers could be edited by the user.

I would also suggest that the autoscaling calibration not simply
record the highest and lowest seen numbers, but rather would increment
the highest known value by X or decrement the lowest by X (X might be
1 or 0.2 or something like that).  This may be a simple way to watch
out for RFI spikes that might occur.  Continuosly high signals would
increase the max pretty quickly, while erroneously large spikes would
have little effect.

There could be a clear option, or re-calibrate button to perform the
calibration phase if anything seems to go wrong.  And obviously there
would always be the option to turn off autoscaling.

John