[kismac] Re: Signal strength

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:18:49 +0800

4.10 ssi_type
The ssi_type field is used to indicate what type of signal strength
information is present: "None", "Normalized RSSI" or "dBm".  "None"
indicates that the underlying WLAN device does not supply any signal
strength at all and the ssi_* values are unset.  "Normalized RSSI"
values are integers in the range [0-1000] where higher numbers
indicate stronger signal.  "dBm" values indicate an actual signal
strength measurement quantity and are usually in the range [-108 - 10].
The following values indicate the three types:

        Value   Description
        0       None
        1       Normalized RSSI
        2       dBm
        3       Raw RSSI

Supposedly, all packets are supposed to contain this header information, so it should be a matter of parsing it and converting it to a standard format.

That looks promising! Any idea what kinds of output various adapters give? Presumably the adapters that provide info other than raw must have internal logic to do the conversions... so all we need to do is find out what conversion algorithms they use in order to provide our own.

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx