[kismac] Re: Signal strength

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:05:05 +0800

At 6:46 AM +0800 2006-03-01, Robin L Darroch wrote:

 I agree that it should be optional, but the problem you're describing
 shouldn't be an issue unless you've *never* picked up any network other
 than your weak target network since installing that adapter in KisMAC.
 Otherwise, the weak network will still give you very low scaled
 numbers compared with the strong network that you picked up
 once-upon-a-time.

If you're trying to help someone debug their wireless network problems and you're using their computer as part of that process, then this situation is actually quite likely.

True - and that's a very good reason to make it optional. :)

Of course, even with auto-scaling, it may be completely inappropriate to use that for comparison between cards -- I know that on my TiBook, an Apple Airport card does quite badly, because of how and where Apple situated the antenna, and the fact that the case is now all metal.

Another reason to make it optional... but it really doesn't matter how each card does in different computers: if KisMAC just auto-ranges based on the strongest and weakest signals recieved by that adapter on that computer, then each user gets their own appropriate 1-100 scale, where 100="strongest I've ever seen" and 1="weakest I've ever seen while still seeing something".

I won't get into what kinds of signal strength differences I see with all the other types of cards I have -- I've got way, way, way too many different types of cards for that.

Yep - and each one will develop its own range. That's not to say that a given network will result in exactly the same auto-scaled strength for all adapters: there will still be the case of individual adapter receiver thresholds, not to mention the significantly higher threshold required for an active scan to pick up a network... but at least you can get a quick idea of which networks you're picking up strongly and which ones are weak without having to remember that on this particular adapter "40" is strong, whereas on another adapter "40" is very weak.

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx