[kismac] Re: Senao SL-2511CD Plus Support/Panther 10.3.2

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:54:53 +0100

At 1:57 PM -0700 2004/01/22, <vinylone@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On the word of someone somewhere, I bought a Senao SL-2511CD Plus
 (internal antennae).

Very good card. One of the best 802.11b cards you can buy, and for the money, probably the best price/performance.

 The page
  http://www.binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/hardwarelist.php
  indicates that Kismac will WORK on this 'family' of card, the EXT2 variety,
 but it never really says what OS X iteration this works on, I assume it's
 10.2...or is it 10.3?

There should be no driver difference between the external and internal antenna versions. Certainly, KisMac has worked well for me and my Senao cards.

                        Obvious to some, this isn't so for me, and I
 admit I don't get everything by any stretch. I further *assume* that
 the sourceforge driver is THE driver for this card. Is this in error?
 Does another driver exist?

The WirelessDriver doesn't support WEP. So far as I know, most people actually use the IOXperts driver instead, which does support WEP. It costs a little bit of money to get a full license to use (something like $20), but I think it is very well worthwhile.

 Anyway, the new 0.08a Kismac is now out, w/ 10.3 support. This
 sourceforge driver, will it WORK on 10.3.2, and with my
 internal-antennae iteration of the SL-2511CD Plus card?

Dunno. I haven't had a chance to try 0.0.8a on my machine. Of course, I'm still on 10.2.8, so that doesn't answer the Panther question for you.

Keep in mind that, as far as KisMac is concerned, it provides its own driver for actually scanning (unless you want to use the built-in Airport Extreme card, in which case you'll need to select the PseudoJack driver).

Whether you use the WirelessDriver or IOXperts driver for "normal" use of the card is totally irrelevant to KisMac. If you don't plan on any "normal" use of the Senao card at all, then I wouldn't worry about which other driver you try to use.

                                                         I can't
 imagine where the antennae formfactor of this card would affect
 whether this driver will work or not. Could be it's the 0.07 Kismac
 I need....

Dunno. Version 0.0.8a shouldn't have changed anything with respect to the Senao cards, but you never know. Maybe some new bug crept in that we are not aware of.

Am I OVERANALYZING the situation, and tying myself in KNOTS??

Could be. Try changing one thing at a time, between the version of KisMac, the driver selected, etc.... If possible, give it a try under 10.2.8 as well as Panther.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>