[kismac] Re: Question about multiple channels

  • From: uDecker <udecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:31:11 -0500

Mick,

We usually try to make the channels as separate as possible to prevent overlap for our own networks (using ch 1, 4, 8, and 11 for four channel bridges and 1, 5 and 11 for three channels). I understand that beacon analysis would be difficult, but since the cards are able to hop channels during scanning anyway - are you doing this piecewise, as in starting at 2.415, stepping up in hundredth increments, or are you telling the cards to go up by their preset channel maps? If it's the latter, fairly separate channels that are active (such as 1 and 5) should be easier than distinguishing between closer channels (such as 1 and 2). I suppose separate entries for obviously separate channels?

Nonetheless, thanks for adding it to the to do list - we currently are able to see our active channels if we watch closely, which does the job for us, although sometimes channels seem to show up that we're not using... - we can also turn off channel hopping and focus on the known channels one at a time.

The only other request I can think of would be to actively monitor both signal strength, noise amount, and S/N ratio. Are these things that are in the works as well?

Otherwise, this is a great app! Please know that it really helps with my job. I've got a PB 17in with Airport Extreme and a prism2 orinoco pcmcia with external antenna.

-Craig

On Jan 24, 2004, at 2:16 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>this would require beacon analysis, since the 2.4 GHz channels overlap. this is also a very tricky to implement, as networks are identified by their BSSID, and this bssid would be used multiple times. i added this to the todo list, but i am afraid, that it is unlikely that i write support for this any time soon. i am currently too busy.

mick</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>