[kismac] Re: Prism 3 chipset

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:11:33 +1030

Prism3 is a worse chipset than 2.5 because they cut stages out of the radio, and emulated them in the driver on the computer. This results in bad performance, higher CPU load on the machine, and poorer signal quality.

They did this because it was cheaper.

On 10/03/2006, at 8:37 AM, Gavin Armstrong wrote:

Just got a Senao NL-2511CD 802.11b card - the one with the two MMCX breakouts. But it's a Prism 3 chipset (not a 2.5 as I was expecting). Kismac doesn't even recognise it. Is there some magic driver somewhere I can install - I've installed/uninstalled the sourceforge ans IOXperts drivers?

I've read that the Prism 3 is actually a worse chipset that the 2.5 - how so? Bigger numbers normally mean better stuff.

I'm running KisMAC 0.2a (0.2a [$Revision: 90$]) - the latest CVS build I could find.

Any help really appreciatted.

Thanks,

Gavin