[kismac] Newbie question

  • From: Steve Roach <sroach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:28:57 -0500

Hello all,

I have a newbie question, is there a place I can find out more about cracking WEP? The reason I ask is I have a linksys WAP at home and after installing KisMac I wanted to give it a try.

So I turned on 64bit (40 bit) WEP and assigned it a password. Then I let it collect packets, about 200K worth. Then I started a brute hack on it to find the password, which ran for a while (15" PB with 867 / 512 megs ram)

After a hour or two it came back and said no luck.

Couple question I have is how do you know is it's 64 or 128, how do you know which cracking method to try, and when you find a signal how do you connect to it, I don't see it as a choice when I open my airport utility.

Again if someone wants to point me to some Docs I will read them, I don't want to be a leech.

Thanks in advance.