[kismac] Re: Newbie - GPS for iBook G3/800

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:19:50 +0800

I've started using Kismac again, after concentrating
on building a network at home, and would like to
start using it in conjunction with GPS. Could anyone
recommend any GPS equipment that runs well with
OSX on an iBook and Kismac?

As has been mentioned, your best bet is a USB GPS "mouse". Unless you are highly allergic to cables, the USB cable supplying power to the GPS is (in my opinion) much preferable to having to worry about batteries in both a bluetooth GPS unit and your iBook. When wardriving, I run everything off my iBook's car power adapter (GPS mouse, external USB WiFI stick, and iPod for tunes :) )

I can highly recommend the Holux GM-210 USB GPS - updated drivers are at http://www.holux.com.tw, and you should be able to pick one of those units up on eBay for about US$50-60.

Share and enjoy! :)

Cheers,
Robin

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx