[kismac] My plans...

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:18:25 +1030

Here's what I'm trying to do with r76 of KisMac.

• Add an option to see the IP address of the client as detected on the network by the received packets.
• Work out why the "enable monitor mode on airport extreme" is so unreliable. Maybe make an extension that turns this on at boot time and leaves the wlt1 interface hanging around so we don't have to go through the risky adding/removing/fiddling with drivers to achieve this. It always seems to work just after a restart, and sometimes leaves the AirPort card not working until one.
• Add a fifth panel view - status. Can display a miniaturized version of the graph on the traffic page, a list of the clients in range, GPS information etc - basically just summarize everything on the other 4 panes.
• Add an export to KML or KMZ format so we can export some AP locations and view them in Google Earth.

What I'm not sure how to do at all:
• Universal Binary - will our stuff work on OS X for Intels? Can someone who understands the low level bits of KisMac better than I do, and who knows about OS X for intels fill us in on this.

What I've already done:
• Ethereal intergration
• NIB file tweaking (more closely follow Apple Human Interface Guidelines), and they're localized in English AND Spanish. (I made the changes to the Spanish ones that popped up in r76)
• Rewritten help files to bring them up to date, fixed changelog etc...

http://gm2.ath.cx/~gm/kismac.merge.zip - unzip to a directory and use FileMerge to merge with clean r76 sources.
http://gm2.ath.cx/~gm/KisMACHelp.zip - rewritten help files.

Oh, and I've ordered a USB GPS device. It should arrive later this week. Finally I can produce meaningful wardriving results.