[kismac] Re: Maps?

  • From: Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:55:05 +1030

On 23/02/2004, at 1:45 PM, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Ryan Verner wrote:

Are there any free locations to get such maps? Is there any decent
mapping software for the mac, independent of kismac? A bonus would be
if it could read from gpsd; I can run multiple software in tandem, this
way.

If you're willing to run X11, I recommend Xastir.

Cool, I'll check it out. Hopefully there's a fink package :-)

Once I picked up two AP's, and set the first waypoint, it actually
started showing nodes without a map.  Thing is, it only reads from the
GPS for about 10 minutes before reading from the GPS completely hangs.
I suspect it may be the GPS, though (it's a USB thing, installed a
Prolific USB->Serial kext to get it working properly).

I'm using a Prolific frob on my serial GPS, with gpsd (with Kismac and xastir), no problems, I've run it for hours.

Hmm. I'm using a "DConneX BU-303"; couldn't find any drivers for it but a google for the serial number showed me that all it was is a standard serial GPS, just with the serial->USB thing built in to the unit. I downloaded the Prolific 1.0.6 driver, which appeared to be the latest (but is it?), which works fine, but after 10-15 minutes of usage, Kismac stops reading from the device completely; doesn't make a difference whether I use gpsd or get Kismac to read from it directly.

I suspect it's probably the Prolific driver (I'm getting things such as the following in system.log - thousands and thousands of times)

Feb 23 01:27:21 localhost kernel: oss8000000: dequeueData ret 3
Feb 23 01:27:21 localhost kernel: ttyioss8000000: dequeueData ret 3
Feb 23 01:27:21 localhost last message repeated 83 times

What version are you running?

Signature space for rent.