[kismac] Re: Linux on a PowerBook G4. PLEASE HELP!

  • From: Severed Dreams <severed.dreams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:19:37 -0700

Hello Terry,

You'll want to run a program called X WINDOWS SYSTEM. This will allow
you to run Ethereal. It's pretty easy to set up, I'll walk you through it if you'd
like. What version of Mac OS X are you running? If your running Jaguar
10.3.x, you can find it in:

System Folder -> Utilities -> X11

(You can still run it if you're using Panther 10.2.x, but it's slightly more work).

This allows you to run the Graphical User Interface (GUI) that a lot of the Linux
programs require. Such as Ethereal.

If you want to run a non GUI program, then you can just open up a Terminal
window, by going to:

System Folder -> Utilities -> Terminal

Then you can run programs from the command line.

(Both Terminal and X11 are nice things to place in your dock, by the way.)

Don't be afraid to compile. Often time's it's very easy, and only requires
three commands from the terminal in the directory of the program you
want to compile.

Those three commands are:

./configure
./make
./make install

Generally there's also a file called README or INSTALL or something
similar that you can read that will contain instructions. To view it from the
command line, just type:

more README

Also, you can use Fink to install many programs. You can download
fink off of source forge at:
sourceforge fink homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fink/
direct download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/fink-0.19.0.tar.gz?download

Once you have fink installed, you can have it automagically download and install
Ethereal by typing the following command from your terminal

sudo /sw/bin/fink  install ethereal
It will then ask you for your password, and then you're good to go.

Basically what you're doing with that command is telling the computer to run the
command as super user, the command is the fink program, you want it to install,
and the program you want to install is ethereal.

Then just click on X11

Once X11 loads, click on applications. Then Customize.

Click on Add Item

Click in the empty space that just appeared under name.

Type Ethereal

Then click on the empty space underneath command on the same line.

Type /sw/bin/ethereal

...and unless I made some horrible mistake, you should now be able
to run ethereal through X11 by going up to applications and then
pulling down to ethereal.

Of course, if I made a mistake somewhere (or everywhere), I'm sure
20 people will jump up and start screaming :-)

Regards,
Aaron

On Feb 24, 2004, at 6:34 AM, Terry Rattray wrote:

Does anyone have any information on getting a PowerBook G4 to run on
both Linux and MacOS X?  I want to use ethereal and all of those linux
programs but I am not very linux savey and I wanted to know if anyone
had any detailed install instructions and how to install the programs.
I don’t understand how to compile, etc.

---