[kismac] Re: Large files/nos of APs

  • From: ard jonker <ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:58:21 +0100

At 19:06 +0100 2005/01/22, Michael Rossberg wrote:

but i think we are hitting another barrier here. with 3000 access points the data volume becomes to big to be handled entirely in memory in real time. this means we need a database alike function within kismac. this on the other hand would mean no instant updates, as we cannot execute a couple of database calls whenever a packet comes in.
the only solution that i see is an engine which uses for lately active networks a memory solution and for the rest a database backend. unfortunately i am not able to program in my spare time. this project size requires a commercial development team.

First off, Mick, my remark was one of admiration about your efforts, not critisism about Kismac performing badly when abused for things it was never designed for. I guess if we want Kismac to be abused for large networks, it will mean sacrifices on the parts that Kismac was intended for; an undesirable development. Hence, other tools will be better for analysing large data sets and Mick's programming efforts can be toward improving Kismac specific use.

The only reason for me to want to have large datasets was to obtain a 'net area' for a very tiny subset of of the large dataset. I put Kismac in trouble in one of the intermediate steps that would lead to the results I wanted.

If in the future there is one way to limit Kismac gathering only data for filtered AP's (be it SSID, GPS location or other criteria) the neccessity for Kismac to be able to handle large data sets is sufficient.

Meanwhile, by means of analysing all BSSIDs of SSIDs that are of interest to me and entering those in the filter prefs pane, will help me out on mapping my prefered network.

Ard