[kismac] Re: KisMAC is way buggy

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:47:36 +0100

At 9:07 AM -0800 2004/03/06, Jeff Schwartz wrote:

 This only occurs with my Cisco Aironet 350 card. With a borrowed
 Prism 2.5 card, KisMAC works great -- records all GPS coordinates
 perfectly.
 I reported this on the bugtracker months ago, but it was closed
 with a note "not reproducible".

The cisco drivers are probably less well-tested, but I don't understand why they'd interfere with GPS reading.

 KisMAC drivers don't seem to unload.
 Notes: If I run KisMAC and scan and quit it, then I cannot get a
 connection through my Airport Extreme, Senao, or Cisco Aironet
 card. In fact, if I scan with KisMAC, quit KisMAC, relaunch
 KisMAC, it says that it can't load the driver. So basically if I
 scan with KisMAC, I have to reboot my machine afterwards.

I've tested with all these cards, and never had this problem reliably. I have occasionally had various versions of KisMac that failed to unload the drivers, but I haven't been able to localize the issue.

What version of MacOS X are you running? On what hardware?

 Problem:
 KisMAC crashes or locks up moderately frequently.
 Notes:
 KisMAC is more stable than it used to be (used to crash when I
 looked at it wrong). I can't exactly reproduce the crashes, but
 I can give you instances that increase the probability of a crash:

I haven't had these kinds of problems recently. Can you give us more details to your exact configuration?

 Due to these bugs, perhaps 90% of the nodes I scan are unusable. I no
 longer wardrive with KisMAC. I can't imagine that anyone else does either.

Well, if all your problems have to do with the cisco driver, then anyone who is not using cisco cards would be fine.

 PS: I'd be happy to pay a $15 shareware fee if the above bugs are fixed,
 as the features it offers are not matched by any other Mac OS X software.

I'd like to see a version of KisMac that provided more debugging output, preferably to a file. I'd be perfectly happy to be using a development version that is fully instrumented, so that I could give more details as to where problems may lie.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>