[kismac] Re: Google Maps Support

  • From: Piotr Malecki <maleckip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:07:34 -0400

Yeah, if the output were to be web-based then like that but at a way
higher zoom level.
I like in Waterloo, Ontario. Through a couple of war-driving sessions
I drove through around 4-5% of the city's roads and picked up over
1000 WAPs. Judging from the areas that I drove, this probably accounts
for around 10-20% of the city's WAPs. I'd like to be able to view this
on Google maps on either the maximum zoom setting or the second
highest with the ability to either view open APs, free APs or WEP
encrypted. The free ones would have to have some sort of database
(perhaps a comments section in .kismac database).

Another thing that would a useful feature would be the ability to d/l
files from .kismac for a particular region. There's almost no point in
having users collect and transmit WAP location data if all we get in
return is access to a small map window on a slow server. The KisMAC
app should be able to request WAP info (location, SSID, BSSID, type of
encryption, date of last time spotted) from .kismac, and plot it on
the users computer in the map view (possibly do have an option to get
up-to date info every time KisMAC starts up). This way we'll have info
on local APs any time (not just when we're on the KisMAC website).

Since Google Maps has Hybrid mode (Satellite & Map view), Kismac
should take the opportunity to use this data to provide a easier to
read map view by allowing Google Maps to be imported the way expedia,
map24 and terraserver are.

I have done some programming (at school and some for fun) before in
BASIC, C, JAVA and Turing, but I'm really rusty and I don't know how
the KisMAC app operates (Haven't looked at the source yet). I'm hoping
someone with some knowledge of KisMAC's map view/import features would
be willing to try to incorporate my ideas in one of the future
releases.

Thanks,
Piotr