[kismac] GPS USB to Serial Compatibility

  • From: Galen <blueandwhiteg3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:25:37 -0700

Does anybody know if the Palm serial adapter (for the m1xx series,
among other Palms) works with a GPS hooked up through a PC serial
connector (as many must be)? As far as I can tell, my adapter is
identical to a regular Serial-to-USB adapter except it is Palm branded,
although I don't know what chipset it is or how the ROM is configured.
I know that older PDA adapters (PC serial to Mac serial) often worked
with GPS devices. Are there certain drivers available that I would
need? I'm looking into purchasing a GPS and will be trying out
someone's Garmin eTrex GPS in a week or two and would like to know if
anyone has experience with this adapter or has some general suggestions.

Oh, and yes, I do know that I could purchase a serial-to-USB adapter
for the GPS but I'd prefer not to spend money to do something I can
already do.

Galen