[kismac] Re: GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:12:17 -0800

It's neat to hear about the new USB GPS devices coming out. But does anybody note the price on these things? I sort of factored out anything over $500 when I was looking around. But still, doesn't seem like there are very many out there yet. Though that 56 MB Garmin with a color screen sounds nice... anybody got a unit I could "review" ? ;)

Back to my original question, what are you guys all using for your serial adaptor? I'm familiar with the Keyspan stuff, which I guess works great, but it seems awfully expensive (IMHO) for stupid simple serial input that every computer from the Mac Plus to Beige G3 could do for free (just a little re-wiring to fit the connector). So my question is probably really what is the cheapest solution available. Not so much because I can't possibly afford a Keyspan, but because it's providing me with a so incredibly fundamental function, yet it's so expensive. Kind of like the way cartridge manufacturers charge so much for their brand-name cartridges, yet they don't really cost much to make...

-Galen