[kismac] Re: GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Pat Heidingsfelder <heidingsfelderp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:14:44 -0600

Gramin has one USB GPS out as of now. with 3 more on the way soon. The one out now is the GPSMAP 60C. It is a great unit! 56 mb or ram for maps, color display! Check out the garmin website. The only problems with the USB units is no software is compatible with them but garmin's yet! ...

On Feb 22, 2004, at 9:44 PM, Patrick Munson wrote:

As far as a secondary use for your eTrex GPS I use a piece of software titled "GPSy." It will collect data from your GPS receiver and send it to some third party map software.

In my case, GPSy enabled me to resurrect my old copy of Delorme Street Atlas 4 (I think it is available on the Mac to version 6). I am not sure if there is an OSX version of GPSy but it will put your eTrex GPS to work in OS9 for sure.

On Feb 22, 2004, at 7:13 PM, Galen wrote:

Hi,

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS with the serial cable. I love the device as a standalone, but I _hate_ the way it uses a serial cable for connection. C'mon GPS manufacturers, serial is OLD, yet last time I checked, a total of ZERO native USB GPS devices existed! (Yes, I do know they have bluetooth receivers, but those don't work standalone and cost a bundle, and PDA receivers are too fragile, cost even more, and not designed for sending location data via their USB connection)

I'm now ready to hook my eTrex GPS up to my computer, biggest use will be KisMAC, but a secondary use may be some commercial mapping software (like the National Geographic topo maps thing) - what do you guys recommend for hardware? From what I've seen serial adapters run $40-60, something like 1/3 to 1/2 the price I paid for my GPS! It's a little ridiculous, but I'm ready to bite the bullet and purchase one if I really must.

So, what brand do you use, what did you pay? Also, I've got these Palm USB serial adapters around here - a Belkin one, a Palm-branded one - and they look like they could work, but they don't do anything under 10.3 with KisMAC (though they work great with Palm Desktop). Any suggestions there?

-Galen