[kismac] Re: Fwd: Question about Packets/Weak Packet Rates?

  • From: Stroller <MacMonster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Max Palatnik <palatnik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:57:23 +0000

On Dec 27, 2004, at 11:40 pm, Max Palatnik wrote:

I used aircrack to crack my airport network using my windows OS computer. That was great and fun, and transferring a couple large files over the wireless definately increased the rate at which I was able to collect packets/IV's and whatnot.

Now I'm trying to do this with kismac using my powerbook G4...

What wireless card are you using, please? There is a section in the KisMac preferences to load the appropriate driver.

My Powerboko is also a G4, and aluminium one with a built-in Airport Extreme card; my understanding is that this Airport Extreme card is only able to operate in "active" mode, which is suitable for detecting "hidden" networks but not sniffing their packets.

I had success in cracking my neighbour's wireless network when I used a D-Link DWL-122 USB adaptor, for which KisMac can load drivers in "passive" mode. In KisMac's "driver" preferences I set the "dump filter" to "keep everything", later found the "Dumplog" files & brute-forced then using jc-webcrack which Johnnie Cache posted about here a while back <http://www.hick.org/~johnycsh/code/>. I believe any WEP-key cracker should work just as well, as I think KisMac generates standard dump files, but I like the idea of the whole distributed thing, and I was able to share the load across my DP powermac, too.

Stroller.