[kismac] Re: Earthmate USB

  • From: Richard Smith <smith@xxxxxx>
  • To: ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:06:45 -0700

There are a couple:

        GPSe from a fellow in Japan
                http://homepage.mac.com/etmr/GPS/gpse.html

        TrueNav - German
                http://www.truenav.com/index.html

        MacGPSpro - only for Garmin, unfortunately

None of these have wardriving capabilities...

The other option is to run kismet (kismac's inspiration) under X11.
There is a module of GPS integration for that. And, there is someone
who has made it all work under OS X. Although I am a novice, I was able
to follow their directions and get it mostly working on my iBook... of
course my Earthmate doesn't have the drivers...

        By the way, I have found another USB-only GPS, called "TripNav," that
has Mac OS X drivers.

        http://www.gpsonsale.com/vehiclenavigation/products/TripNavTN-200.htm

The drivers (see link near the bottom of the page) are the ones that I
tried to hack to make my earthmate come to life.... no luck.

...r