[kismac] Re: Earthmate USB

  • From: Richard Smith <smith@xxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:39:22 -0700

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 08:26 AM, Chris Osborn wrote:

> I almost wonder if all it would take (on Linux at least) is adding the
> VendorID and ProductID to the USB-serial driver. Are there any Open
> Source USB-serial drivers for OSX?

I tried this but it didn't work. Setting the Vendor ID and Product ID
don't seem to help if you don't have the right chipset/driver
combination.

It took a chance and tried several drivers from what I assumed would be
similar chipsets from other vendors but nothing seems to make the
tripmateUSB visibile to Kismac (or any other OS X GPS software that is
expecting a serial GPS).

I still remain hopeful that some GPS software will come out that looks
at the Tripmate (and other USB GPS units) in a "native" way, rather
than just trying for a serial connection. I suspect once one person
figures this out and releases their source there will be others soon
behind. And I also imagine that when USB is the dominant way of
connecting a GPS rather than a novel way, we will have a bunch of
software that can read my device.

In the mean time, I am kicking myself for not getting the Deluo one!

        http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/laptopgps.php

(Although, according to this thread on a discussion board, they are not
the most reliable in reporting location or getting a satellite fix...
        http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=749

...r