[kismac] Re: Another 004d user with freezes

  • From: "William H. Leininger" <whlm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 23:11:35 -0500

>  >  > My PCMCIA card is a Lucent Technologies Orinoco Gold card.  The
>>   > Orinoco control panel under MacOS 9 identifies it as:
>>   > Hardware 4.0.2
>>   > Primary Firmware 4.0.4
>>   > Station Firmware 8.0.10
>>
>>Ard, can you take a look, which version you have?
>
>I can, if you tell me (and the other list members just as well) how
>you can do that under MacOS X. I ran opensource drivers prior to
>Kismac (don't use the card for regular airport traffic, only for
>wardrive).

You probably can't; Lucent/Agere/Proxim doesn't support that card
under MacOS X, and they are the ones that know how to get that data.
I just tried running the Orinoco control panel under classic, and as
I expected, it doesn't run.

>Apple system profiler under 'devices and volumes' hung Kismac (or the
>other way around) so I had to force-quit both of them.
>
>After a reboot and starting Kismac again, the info that comes up
>under 'devices and volumes' yields
>card type is 'cardbus'
>card name is 'cardbus'
>Card model TXN, PCI 1211-00
>vendor 104c
>device ID ac1e
>rom# is not available.
>Revision 0

For what it is worth, mine reads:
card type TXN,PCI1210-00
VendorID 104c
DeviceID ac1e

If yours is silver, maybe the card type 1210 is gold, and 1211 is silver?

Anything else may take messing in Open Firmware to find the ROM on
the card and seeing if the strings for the hardware and firmware
versions are in there.
William H. Leininger                  | whl@xxxxxx
Macintosh Developer                   | whl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.watervalley.net/users/whl/ |