[kent-equality] FW: Preventing and tackling LGB and T hate crime

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kent-equality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:17:27 +0000

From: The Equality and Human Rights Commission
[mailto:website=equalityhumanrights.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
The Equality and Human Rights Commission
Sent: 29 June 2015 13:51
To: Lever, Clive - ST TR
Subject: Preventing and tackling LGB and T hate crime

Can't see this email? Please view it
online<http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=f4401bd848&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[EHRC logo]

Newsletter

June 2015

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4/images/b978d6b1-7a8c-4e89-8654-f1bda95ccc20.png]<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=62128227d3&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

LGB and T hate crime - recognise it, report it

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

With around 35,000 incidents of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT)
hate crime going unreported each year, the Commission is sending this strong
message to anyone who has experienced this crime because of their sexual
orientation.

We’re working alongside the LGBT Consortium to encourage people to come
forward, no matter how trivial the incident may seem.

Alongside the public awareness campaign we're funding the country's only 24/7
LGBT hate crime helpline with Stop Hate
UK<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=de1150df33&e=b621edd12a>
- 0808 801 0661.

We're keen to get this message out to as many people as possible so please view
and share our messages, including this short film we made with Aaron who was
viciously attacked whilst on a night out and an interview with our Commissioner
Evelyn-Asante Mensah.

You can view the video, interview and find out more on our Preventing and
tackling LGB and T hate crime page >>
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=caa8b7b570&e=b621edd12a>

If you're on social media please follow us on
Twitter<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=e35f2cdc0b&e=b621edd12a>
and
Facebook<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=37c4f6e78c&e=b621edd12a>
and share our posts so we can really make a difference and ensure that nobody
needs to suffer simply because of who they are.

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4/images/62330e75-2f3f-4ed9-bb00-6fc3bf5ddec3.png]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Commission launches new project to increase diversity in television

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

We've recently launched a new government-backed project aimed at unlocking
economic and creative potential by increasing the diversity of people working
in Britain's television sector. The industry has admitted there is an
under-representation of ethnic minorities, disabled people and women on and off
screen.

The EHRC's Disability Commissioner, Lord Holmes of Richmond said:
"Our creative industries lead the world and it’s important that the most
talented candidates out there see a job in television as a rewarding career
choice if our broadcasters and production companies are to continue to be world
beaters."

Find out more about the diversity in the television sector project

<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=ca9bac474a&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4/images/0c407f49-0f0d-44ab-bbec-dc553366d498.png]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Equality and diversity in the civil service

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

We published a statement last week in response to the National Audit Office’s
(NAO)
report<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=590eefffb8&e=b621edd12a>
on equality, diversity and inclusion in the civil service.

The NAO’s report found that the civil service needs a workforce that better
reflects our increasingly diverse society and we emphasised the importance of
the civil service drawing on all talents across our communities to ensure this
happens.

Read our statement
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=2513b60aa1&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Other news this month

Commission welcomes moves to keep young people with mental health conditions
out of police cells

We issued a press release welcoming the announcement by the Home Secretary to
end the use of police cells to detain anyone aged under 18 with mental health
problems. We also said there is still a lot to do to tackle this issue and
called on Government to implement all the recommendations from our ‘Preventing
Deaths in Detention of Adults with Mental Health Conditions,’ published earlier
this year.

Mark Hammond, Chief Executive of the Equality and Human Rights Commission,
said: “This is an important and welcome step in the right direction from the
Home Secretary. There remains a lot more to do to tackle serious cracks in our
systems of care for those with serious mental health conditions and we are
looking forward to working with Ministers to deliver further improvements.

Read the press release
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=45ab3c347a&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

The Commission in Scotland

The Scotland legal team are in the process of filming the first in a series of
four legal webcasts aimed at lawyers and advisors. The webcasts, lasting around
an hour each, will cover a range of topical legal issues, starting with
international human rights law with a focus on the non-discrimination principle
and the use of international treaties in domestic pleadings. The webcasts will
feature a member of our legal team alongside a speaker from our panel of
advocates.

The webcasts will be made available on our YouTube channel at intervals
throughout the year. This project will assist us to deliver our training to a
broader audience such as those in more remote areas of Scotland, or those whose
working hours mean that they may not easily be able to access our training
events.

If you would like to find out more about our webinars or any other training
from the Scotland legal team, as well as equality law updates, you can sign up
for our bi-monthly equality law e-newsletter
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=caa0b7f290&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Gender equality in business

What can employers do to address inequality which is holding back economic
growth? Kate Bennett, our national director for Wales believes inequality is
acting like a 'huge dead weight' on the economy.

In an article for 'Real Business' magazine, Kate explains the business benefits
of promoting gender equality and addressing gender pay gaps, and how the
Commission works with organisations that want to explore and address women's
disadvantages in the workplace.

Read Kate Bennett's article in Real Business:
Innovating for gender equality will help women and business flourish
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=107d8a3e1b&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Chris Holmes 'Seeing isn't believing'

Our disability commissioner Chris Holmes recently gave a presentation at a TEDx
event on the theme of 'Momentum; Moving Forward, Gaining Speed and Building
Traction'.

In his talk 'Seeing is believing' Chris spoke about his experience of going
blind overnight when he was 14, and achieving his ambitions of going to
Cambridge University and representing his country at swimming. He competed at
four Paralympic games, winning 9 gold, five silver and two bronze medals. Chris
also spoke about his role as Director of Paralympic Integration of the London
2012 Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Watch Chris Holmes' TED talk: Seeing isn't believing
<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=fff4b884f1&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Follow us

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

Stay connected. Check out the latest from the commission on our social media
channels:

[Twitter
icon]<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=ca7fa934da&e=b621edd12a>

[Facebook
icon]<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=1f5e230ebc&e=b621edd12a>

[Linkedin
icon]<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=f23c073fd5&e=b621edd12a>

[Youtube
icon]<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=8d7bc1ad0d&e=b621edd12a>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]

© 2014 Equality and Human Rights Commission | Unsubscribe from this
Newsletter<http://equalityhumanrights.us3.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=e8b4e22e779ea4c3f17588fa4&id=5ba3531507&e=b621edd12a&c=f4401bd848>
Tell us what you think about our newsletter, Email us at
website@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:website@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/all/themes/ehrc/img/email/spacer.gif]