[keiths-list] Researchers In Norway Claim Lithium Ion Battery Breakthrough

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 12:39:58 -0400

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/12/researchers-in-norway-claim-lithium-ion-battery-breakthrough/

[It's a long road from using nanotech in a lab to scaling it up to mass production. Still, it provides an indicator of how much further battery storage technology can still improve over today's performance. Suppose you buy an EV today, and 10-15 years from now you could replace the current battery pack with this technology, doubling or tripling the range, all while operating at lower energy costs and lower emissions relative to fossil liquid fuels.]

Researchers In Norway Claim Lithium Ion Battery Breakthrough

July 12th, 2018 by Steve Hanley

It seems like just yesterday we did a story about Hyundai investing in US solid state battery company Ionic Materials. Oh, wait. That actually was yesterday! And yet here it is tomorrow already and there is fresh news on the battery front. Researchers at Norway’s Department of Energy Technology (IFE) in Kjeller say they have perfected a way to substitute silicon for the graphite commonly used in the anodes of lithium ion batteries.

The discovery will lead to batteries that can power an electric car for 600 miles or more, the researchers claim. “You can say we have found the X factor we’ve been looking for. This has enormous potential and is something scientists around the world are trying to make,” says IFE research director Arve Holt, according to a report by Bergens Tidende.

Pure silicon has ten times more capacity than graphite but it loses capacity faster than graphite. The researchers have found a way to mix silicon with other elements to create an anode that is stable and long lasting and which has three to five times higher capacity than a conventional graphite anode. Laura Brodbeck of Kjeller Innovation works to commercialize research results from IFE. She says the new technology is already being tested by both material manufacturers and battery manufacturers to determine if it can be marketed successfully.

“In order to reach consumers, the new material and batteries with the technology must be manufactured on an industrial scale. This is something we are working with together with our partners, “says Brodbeck, who declined to name the companies involved with testing the new technology. She did say that some Norwegian companies are involved as well as companies in other countries. “Kjeller Innovation and IFE are actively working to make the technology available as quickly as possible and we aim to enter into a production agreement with one or more players during the project period,” says Brodbeck.

“We have tested that it works on a lab scale with good results. Now that we have received support from the Research Council in the FORNY2020 program, we will test it further with international industry partners and see if it works in their industrial processes. The project that will focus on bringing the new material to the market — we call it SiliconX — is becoming very exciting to work towards such big goals together with Kjeller Innovation,” says Marte O. Skare, one of the researchers in the project.

Professor Ann Mari Svensson of the Department of Materials Technology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology finds the results of the research interesting but adds a note of caution. “They have achieved good results, but when it comes to industrialization of such research, costs are important. It is possible to make better batteries than those on the market today, but they are often too expensive to pay off,” she says.

As usual with stories like this, the prospects are tantalizing but we are still a long way from being able to buy one of these batteries at your local AutoZone store. But you can almost feel the pace of development in battery technology accelerating day by day if not moment by moment. We certainly do live in interesting times.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/norwegian-scientists-reveal-a-new-battery-with-five-times-more-energy-capacity--next-step-is-industrial-testing--

Norwegian nanoscientists reveal a battery boasting five times conventional energy capacity – pushing EV range over 1000 km

    Vilhelm Carlström

13 Jul 2018 10:06 AM

Norwegian researchers at the Institute for Energy Technology have found a way to improve the capacity of conventional batteries by 300-500%. That would imply smartphones and computers that don’t need to be charged for several days, and electric cars that can drive upwards of 1000 km on a single charge, NRK writes – not to mention the myriad of other medical implants, gadgets, appliances and machines that use lithium ion batteries.

The secret is silicon and nanoengineering.

The new technology exploits the fact that silicon has a much higher energy capacity than the graphite used in conventional batteries. For twenty years, battery manufacturers and researchers have attempted to improve battery performance by mixing small amounts of silicon into the graphite, with limited effects on capacity. The obstacle to using more silicon is that its volume varies almost 400% as lithium ions move in and out of it with battery charge. The swelling makes the material break and pulverize, which causes the battery to degrade quickly.

The trick is to find the right proportions and structure of the silicon- graphite mix, to maximize silicon content while minimizing breakage, so that the battery is stable over time. Nanotechnology has opened for the possibility of engineering materials with a microstructure that makes it inherently resistant to degradation. That is what the Norwegian researchers have done. While the mix doesn’t achieve the maximum 10-fold increase in capacity that pure silicon would offer, a 3 to 5-fold improvement in battery energy content is still a huge improvement compared to the batteries we use today.

Kjeller Innovation is now working on commercializing the tech.

“You can say we’ve found the X-factor we’ve been looking for. This has enormous potential and is something scientists all over the world are trying to accomplish,” research director Arve Holt at the Institute of Energy Technology says in a press release.

The next steps in bringing the results to the markets will be to test the batteries in industrial processes with international partners and patenting the nanotechnology, NRK reports. Kjeller Innovation will lead the work towards commercializing the technology, calling the project SiliconX.

Ramping up from lab testing to an industrial setting hopefully means electric cars, smartphones and implants will soon get an enormous performance boost. Many other research groups and companies are also trying to solve the limitations of lithium ion batteries. In the end the solution that dominates the market will be one that offers high capacity and low degradation in relation to production cost.

Before batteries that improve capacity by hundreds of percent reach the market we can expect a generation of batteries that offer more modest but still significant improvements, the Wall Street Journal predicts.

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-07-norwegian-silicon-jackpot-battery-solution.html

Norwegian researchers hit silicon jackpot for top battery solution

July 16, 2018 by Nancy Owano, Tech Xplore

Steve Hanley certainly wrote what we are all thinking—groan, not another story about a battery "breakthrough." So many blares from a trumpet begin to fall on deaf ears, but the bleats go on. So what and who are we to take very seriously?

Well, we need to continue paying attention to claims because battery research is ongoing and scientists want better solutions. "CleanTechnica readers sometimes tire of all the stories about new breakthroughs in battery technology—it seems like there is at least one every week—but that is only because there is so much news to report about," Hanley said.

Hanley remarked that "you can almost feel the pace of development in battery technology accelerating day by day if not moment by moment."

On to the latest buzz in batteries. Has a corner been reached and turned? Can we consider a jackpot hit in a way to stabilize silicon anodes for Li-ion batteries? As the news stories go, battery researchers at the Department of Energy Technology (IFE) have solved a challenge facing scientists worldwide .

IFE's battery researchers in Norway are talking in terms of revolutionized range and lifespan as they announce that a way has been achieved to put in silicon as a replacement for the graphite used in anodes of lithium ion batteries. The group thinks they found the X factor regarding batteries.

They are boasting over a solution that allows for far better batteries with higher capacity. Numbers? Business Insider Nordic said the Norwegian researchers found a way to improve the capacity of conventional batteries by 300-500%.

Hanley clarified what the technical hurdle which they knocked down.

"Pure silicon has ten times more capacity than graphite but it loses capacity faster than graphite. The researchers have found a way to mix silicon with other elements to create an anode that is stable and long lasting and which has three to five times higher capacity than a conventional graphite anode."

Research director Arve Holt. who earned a PhD from the University of Oslo, built up the institute's solar cell processing laboratory and the solar cell characterization laboratory. His specialty is significant as related to the battery research. Holt and colleagues underwent several years of targeted research and experimental trials with nanoparticles, including silicon, in IFE's laboratories, at Kjeller in Norway.

The IEF reports that "research results show that with the new IFE-developed technology, it can achieve three to five times the charge capacity of the negative electrode (anode) as with today's common graphite technology."

Are you thinking what this means in terms of your daily life?

Think about mobile phones that do not need to be charged for days or think about range vis a vis electric cars. Hanley reported that one of the claims for this discovery is that it will lead to batteries that can power an electric car for 600 miles or more.

Business Insider Nordic reminded readers of the potential impact, too, on medical implants, gadgets, appliances and machines using lithium ion batteries.

All in all, said Business Insider Nordic, "Ramping up from lab testing to an industrial setting hopefully means electric cars, smartphones and implants will soon get an enormous performance boost soon."

What's next? IFE said it is ready to take the research into the marketplace. IFE is working on patenting the technology.

"The Institute will work in parallel with several Norwegian and international companies to test the new battery.

The Department of Energy Technology (IFE) is an independent research foundation; one of its better known tasks is managing the Halden Project, which is OECD's largest and longest collaborative project on reactor safety.