[keiths-list] First Post

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 09:54:29 -0500

I have called this Keith's List because I think that is the most accurate and succinct description of it, though not everyone has known or corresponded with Keith Addison. It continues a succession of at least 2 previous e-mail discussion lists. In recent years, I have done the bulk of the posting. I would welcome a change to that, as many have knowledge to share from which I (and others) could benefit.

This is my first time managing a list on this platform, and I'm not familiar with the features yet. So, if you are coming on early, be prepared for a few bumps. Do not ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

I see this list as a place to discuss sustainability across the scale in a civilized and adult manner. Name-calling, abusive behaviour, failure to back up your case when called on, attempts to control topics, will be grounds for removal from the list. (I don't have a lot of free time or patience at this stage, so childish behaviour will get you removed from the 'adults table' fairly quickly.) This is not a 'social media' site.

While much of the content on the previous list has been news items, personal experience is a valued commodity here. We can learn from what has worked, and what has not, elsewhere. Discussion is encouraged.

Given we are shifting to a new platform, apparently with a new archive, I would encourage one new 'tradition'. I think it would benefit our list community if newcomers would introduce themselves shortly after joining the list. Even if it's just to say who you are, where you are located in the world, and you are here to learn from others.

Darryl McMahon

(list administrator - for now)