[kegswindows] inbound TCP connection

  • From: Doug & Betty Pizac <pizac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:35:39 -0700

        Having been zapped by a new virus several months ago after not noticing
my Norton anti-virus subscription had lapsed, I upgraded to Norton's
SystemWorks and Personal Firewall 2003 and turned up the security.

        For the past few weeks, the program has blocked over 200 "inbound TCP
connection" attempts and a dozen or so "inbound UDP packets."

        When I block the transmission, it comes back from the same source with
a slightly different address. For example, when I block an attempt from
217.227.77.172,23730 the attempt repeats from 217.227.77.172,23150 then
217.227.77.172,23348 and so on. After about as many as six blockings, it
gives up, but tries again later.

        What do TCP connection and UDP packet mean? And how can I get this to
stop. I'm hooked to the Internet via Earthlink's DSL service. How can I
find out who this entity is that's trying to connect to my computer?

...Doug Pizac