[kegswindows] Re: configuring network

  • From: "David M. Dodge" <daviddodge1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:46:57 -0700

Kurt,
sounds like the Netgear NICs want to use a specific IRQ and it must be
dedicated to the slot.  you will have to go into BIOS and try to set a
specific slot.  If the board isn't that old, you may be able to do this,
otherwise get another NIC like an Intel or 3Com,  I have had good luck with
Linksys and they are a bit cheaper than the intel and 3com NICs.  We have
had some problems with system config and Netgear cards where we couldn't get
them on the network and nothing we did worked.  some folks have had no
problems though, so it may be highly hardware dependent.  It sounds like the
Netgear folks are giving you the right info. Each vendor has their own
specific policy regarding sales.  My guess is that HDNW can build PCs but
the techs are not knowledgable about networking and can't figure out how to
set up a NIC and check it out to make sure it works.  Supporting networking
is not easy as so many different things can cause problems as you are now
discovering.

David