[kegswindows] Re: configuring network

  • From: "Pat Russell" <patrussell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:20:23 -0700

I haven't been following all of this.  My understanding is the history goes
like this:
He started out trying to network two PCs together.  One seemed to go ok.
The other did weird things.  From there on the focus was on the weird PC.  A
bunch of stuff was tried.  Then he noticed that he had problems with the PCI
drivers which were chained after the Linksys, a network card.  I am assuming
that the PC was generally working until the network card was popped in.  By
now all the "standard" stuff has been tried and its time to try whatever
anyone can think of.  At this point someone suggested deleting the problem
"PCI" devices.  The idea was to let them reinstall and hope that cleared up
the problem.  The problem is they didn't reinstall.  I agree with you that
this is motherboard stuff.  But it used to be there.  It came from
somewhere.  My theory is that there are some hardware detect routines that
only run during OS install and that these routines are not running during a
boot.  So the hardware is not detecting and the proper routines are not
being installed.  Your theory is that the routines are not shipped with the
version of the OS that he is running and that's why the routines are not
installing.  Based on my theory I suggested an OS reinstall.  That would run
the "install only" detect routines and reinstall the drivers, if I am right.
But if he can find a software CD for his current motherboard and run it the
drivers should reinstall whether you are right or whether I am right.

So here's the bottom line:  If he can find some software that goes with his
current motherboard he should run it.  It can't hurt.  If he can't then it's
more likely that I am right and a reinstall is worth trying.  At that point
(no motherboard software) he couldn't do what you suggest.  So my suggestion
is the only remaining option.