[kegswindows] Re: Wion98 RAM

  • From: "Pat Russell" <patrussell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:10:50 -0800

(second try - the first one went somewhere into the ozone)

Doug:
This is my understanding but I have not been able to verify it:

Win98/SE/ME does not know what to do with memory above 256MB.  But a number
of the "memory hog" programs use a "windows extender" technology that allows
them to manage and use memory beyond the 256MB boundary.  So lets change the
question to "If I have Win98/SE/ME is it worthwhile to get more than 256MB
of RAM"?  If you run the standard run of the mill software and don't plan to
upgrade to an NT family OS like XP then the answer is no.  But if you run
full featured picture editors, CAD, or other software that is likely to have
the "windows extender" software and need the RAM or you are planning to go
to an NT family OS on the same hardware then the answer is yes.  But if this
is one of those trivia questions, I think technically the answer is the OS
can only handle 256MB of RAM.

Of course if the "K" in your original question is correct and not a TYPO
then the correct answer is "false".  A Win98 system can recognize and use
more than 256K of RAM.  In fact, it can recognize and use more than 640K of
RAM, even in "DOS 16 bit compatibility" mode.  In this mode it can use
unused chunks of memory between 640K and 1024K and it can recognize and use
up to 64K of memory starting at 1024K.  All together it can recognize and
use about 800K under ideal circumstances.  Of course, in 32 bit mode it can
recognize and use a lot more.