[kegswindows] Re: Win98-XP networking

  • From: "David C Abernathy" <DaveA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 06:44:11 -0700

Go to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/xp_netbeui.zip and download
this zip file. It contains a bat file that will copy the files in the
correct folders.
For more information go to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041&sd=tech

SUMMARY
Microsoft has discontinued support for the NetBIOS Extended User Interface
(NetBEUI) network protocol in Windows XP. However, it is understandable that
migration to another network protocol, such as TCP/IP may involve
significant time in planning and testing. Therefore, for those who plan to
migrate your system environment to Windows XP by obtaining the full,
retail-released version of Windows XP, the NetBEUI protocol can be found on
the Windows XP CD-ROM under the Valueadd folder.

This article describes the process for manually installing the unsupported
NetBEUI protocol on a computer that is running Windows XP. The NetBEUI files
must be manually copied from the Windows XP CD-ROM before NetBEUI will show
up in the list of installable network protocols.

back to the top

Install NetBEUI on Windows XP
The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are
Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and then locate the
Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the
Hidden files and folders Folder.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click
Properties.
On the General tab, click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
Restart your computer if you receive a message to do so to complete the
installation.
The NetBEUI protocol is now be installed and working.

NOTE: %SYSTEMROOT% is a Windows environment variable that identifies the
directory where Windows XP is installed (for example, C:\Windows). To view
the value associated with %SYSTEMROOT%, in addition to other environment
variables, at a command prompt, type set, and then press ENTER.

Note After following the steps earlier in this article, you can use NetBEUI
on LAN connections. However, you will not be able to use NetBEUI on a Remote
Access Service (RAS) connection. RAS connections cannot use NetBeui.

For additional information about NetBEUI in Windows XP, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306059 The NetBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP

Thanks,
David C Abernathy
DaveA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Email disclaimers
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dcabernathy
== All outgoing and incoming mail is scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2004 ==