[kegswindows] Re: Win XP Pro task manager

  • From: "David Dodge" <daviddodge1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:52:49 -0700

Kurt,

Shutting off processes is more elegant than doing a Crtl-Alt-Del in
Win9x/Me.  It allows you to see all the processes and show what
percentage of the CPU they are using and how much memory they are using.
By "regaining control of your system" you look at the process that is
taking up all the CPU cycles (usually 70-99% of the cpu)and then you
kill that process. Then you get control of the system back.  You can
restart the application that was hung (internet Explorer does this a lot
if you loose your internet connection) but a hung install or some other
application that you may not even know is running could hang and lock
the system, thereby preventing an application to run.  This usually
works, but sometimes you just have to power off the system.

//David Dodge//