[kegswindows] Re: Win XP Pro task manager

  • From: "David Dodge" <ddodge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:59:38 -0700

Kurt,

Terminating a process is ok as long as you know what that process is
doing and it is something that needs to be done to regain control of
your system.   I do this all the time and get the same warning.  This is
a secondary level of "do you really want to do that?".  The system will
not allow you to terminate critical system processes, so you are
generally safe under most circumstances.  It would help if the Covey
technician knew what processes that needed to be terminated for you to
reinstall the program, as that would help to target what needed to be
shut down.  I would recommend you do the reinstall in Safe Mode as many
processes aren't loaded that would load under a normal boot.  This will
help minimize what you have to attempt to shut down.

I shut down processes that are hung (or applications that are hung) to
regain control of my system when something goes wrong.  The technician
gae ok advice, but should have been more specific, or at least walked
you through each one.

David Dodge