[kegswindows] Re: Networking

  • From: "Pat Russell" <patrussell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:13:34 -0700

Far and away the simplest solution is to put a modem on each computer and
set each up separately to dial your ISP and connect to the Internet.  If you
have enough separate phone lines you can even have both of them on the
Internet at the same time as a lot of ISPs do not bother to check for
multiple simultaneous connections.  It is cheating, however, to do so.  A
simple way to avoid this is to use one phone line for both computers.  That
way, the first one gets in and the second one gets a "no dial tone" error.
Of course, if this is your one and only phone line then probably neither of
your computers will get in due to competition from the female members of
your house hold.

If you don't want to go the simple, 2 modem way, then both '98 and XP
support something called Windows Connection Sharing.  I have implemented
this on a cable modem with Windows 2000 server.  It should work better on XP
than on '98 so if you have one of each computer use the XP one as the
"Master".  If you implement using '98 then the Master must be up and logged
in for ICS to work.

ICS does two things.  One is it provides rudimentary networking capability
by implementing TCP/IP and something called DHCP, all with automatic,
default settings so you can network the two connections together.  The other
thing it does is it senses if either computer wants to access the Internet.
If one does, it automatically runs the dial up and log in process to get you
connected.  There is usually a 15 or 20 minute inactivity timeout to hang
you up once you stop using the connection.

You can use both computers to browse the web or access mail at Hotmail or
any of the web based mail services.  You can access the e-mail account that
comes with your Internet account but you have to look out for messages
getting downloaded to the other computer.  So it is best to always access a
particular mail account from a particular computer.  This works out well if
your ISP provides multiple accounts and your account is set up on one
computer and your wife's on the other.

Et up is pretty straight ahead.  On the Master computer set up your dial up
networking and make sure your network card is installed and working ok.
Then drill down to where your network cards are (Right-click "Network
Neighborhood" and select "Properties" on '98; Start, Control Panel, Network
and Internet Connections, Network Connections on XP).  Select "Properties"
on your Network Card Icons.  You should have one for your dial up and one
for the NIC card.  I never remember which one to do it on.  There should be
an "Internet Connection Sharing" check box around somewhere.  Check it and
you will end up going through a configuration wizard.  You should end up
with the IP information blanked out on your NIC card although it's always
192.168.0.1.  Other computers on your home network will end up with IP
addresses of 192.168.0.nnn, where nnn is between 2 and 254.

There is also a way to make a floppy which will automatically configure your
"Slave" PCs.  With this as an outline check out the Help on your boxes and
look up "Internet Connection Sharing" or ICS.  Now you see why I recommend
the 2 modem approach.