[kegswindows] Re: Networking

  • From: "David M. Dodge" <daviddodge1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:27:52 -0700

Kurt,

I would use the WinXP for the internet connection via modem.  The platform
has a internet firewall, which will give you some protection, at least more
than the Win 98 box would.  It's more stable and should serve well in that
role.
I wouldn't consider a client server setup as with only two systems, a peer
to peer is adequate.  you will need two network cards and a crossover cable
or a hub/switch and two patch cables for everything to work.  The XP system
will act as a dhcp server and will hand out an address to the other
computer.  I would read up on the topic before proceeding.

David Dodge