[kegswindows] Re: Certification classes

  • From: "Stephen Cox (MSN)" <steveco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:30:53 -0700

Kurt,

=20

You didn't say anything about what your goals are. Why do you want to
take the exams?=20

=20

Are you looking to gain more knowledge & skills to increase your
abilities to perform the work you're currently doing? If this is the
case I wouldn't waste my time with any of the Microsoft exams. The
purpose of the exams are to document/certify your technical abilities.
The MCSE courses will help prepare you for the exam but they really
aren't the best way to increase your skills.

=20

Or are you trying to find a more permanent, hopefully lucrative,
position in an Operations dept? If so having the MCSE credentials will
help open doors for that might otherwise be closed but ultimately you'll
still need the right skills to get the good jobs.=20

=20

Instead of focusing on getting certified I'd recommend getting as much
technical training & experience as possible. Volunteering at your church
and supporting your families & friends PCs is a good start. I'd also
recommend checking out the technical training available at Lake
Washington Technical College (http://www.lwtc.ctc.edu
<http://www.lwtc.ctc.edu/> ). They have excellent extended education
courses and one-year certificate & two-year associate degree programs.
(This might seem like a step back for someone with a CS degree but it'll
bring you up to speed on the latest & greatest in technology since you
were last in the biz.)

=20

Oh, and I do concur with just about everything David said, especially
the suggestion to get the Transcender practice exams when you're ready
to take the tests!

=20

With a little training and experience you shouldn't have any trouble
passing the MCP & MCSE/SA exams at all!

=20

=20

Good Luck!