[kegswindows] Re: Certification classes

  • From: "David Dodge" <daviddodge1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kegswindows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:43:40 -0700

Kurt,
Most of Microsoft's certifications are focused at professionals that do
network and server support on a daily basis.  If you have not touched
Windows 2000 server and are reasonably familiar with it, what you
suggest is very difficult(and relatively expensive).  The server test
alone is a 2 hour test.  The other tests range from 50 minutes to 90
minutes and are also comparatively brutal.

If you want to get your feet wet and get a sample of how Microsoft tests
are, I suggest you take the Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro training
classes and try taking the test.  This will get you an MCP (Microsoft
Certified Professional).  This will be more useful to those you are
helping now doing desktop support, will be less expensive and will give
you an idea if you want to proceed further. The tests are not free
either, at $125 for each attempt, it gets pricey for failing tests.  You
might want to also get the Transcender practice test for the class you
are taking as well.  These are very good practice tests.  They are
designed to overtrain you, so don't expect to pass these.  If you score
in the mid 700-800 range, you can usually pass the MS test.

An MCSE or MCSA certification is not easy to get, but unless you have a
critical job need to be certified, or have a lot of time and money to do
the cert track, then I don't recommend you undertake the entire track.
If you focus on desktop support, then the Desktop OS MCP may be more
useful in the long term.

//David Dodge//
MCSE-NT4, MCSE-2000, HP ASE ProLiant/Windows, and HP Master ASE-SAN
Architect