[kag] Re: gps questions

  • From: <Lucas.DG@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:37:35 -0500

Hi

I own the Garmin GPS 60 CSX - the one with the colour screen.  I used to own a
Magellan 300, no colour screen, no map.

If you have a GPS with no map, make sure you have a paper map with you, so you
can find out where you really are.  Coords are great, but they tell you only
numbers, not where you ARE, if you know what I mean.  Also, you can move the
cursor around the map (on the GPS or on the computer) to get other coords, to
mark a point you are not at (ass opposed to adding 500 M North, and ohh....
ummm.... 25 Eastish?).

As to colour vs grey scale.. colour looks like a map.  Grey scale does not.  To
compare, take a map and photocopy it black and white.  Now try and work with
it.  Not fun.  And it's even worse on a little GPS screen

Most come with cables and software so you can move waypoints, tracks even maps
from GPS to computer and from computer to GPS.  My garmin lets the computer be
"live" - ie you can hook it to a laptop in your car, and have a full screen map
updating all the time.

As to how much you can fit on 8 megs, I've no idea.  But I have every Topo map
for Ontario from the Quebec border on the St Lawrence, to Niagara, up to Borden
/ Meaford on and back to Ottawa/Hull.  And that with the factory memory.  I
think it can hold more, but I've not need.  On my computer, I have every topo
map for the entire country.

Your maps on the GPS are only as up to date and as accurate as your maps on
disk.  That being said, the Garmin are excellent.  Can't speak for anyone else,
as I don't own them.

Hows that?

David G Lucas
DG Lucas