[kag] Re: [geoqueont] Re: [Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] paper topographic maps - under threat!]

  • From: Gordon Campbell <gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:33:14 -0400

That's entirely what the Civicaccess group is all about: preserving public access to records that we, as tax payers, have already paid for. It's a losing battle.

Cheers,
.....G

Paul Bruch wrote:
I think that this opens up private sector opportunity and as such I'm all for it, as long as the Government provides access to the data electronically and continues the collection and management of this data. Printing should not be a core competency of the government supported by my tax dollars when there are many private alternatives available. I can see it now: "Costco map printing services on the web". :-)
Paul (fizbot)

On 9/27/06, *Lloyd Baker* <binrat@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:binrat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

That kinda bites, I have used paper maps on many occasions to plot
the best way into a cache. I have also used them to find a site
for new caches.
I also wonder how this will affect the military. I have seen
printed digital maps and hate them, the colour is way off and hard
to read, not to mention the ink bleeds in the rain. Map-Tack
helps but water eventually leaks between the layers.
Binrat

        Date:   Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:39:40 -0400
        From:   Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau@xxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:tlauriau@xxxxxxxx%3E>
        To:     CivicAccess-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:CivicAccess-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Hi gang!
        While we mostly operate in a digital world, we often go for a hike and
well gadgets do not always cut it!  The issue here is not only the
discontinuation but also the reduction in the quality of the dig maps!

        *****************************

As of January 2007, Natural Resources Canada will discontinue the printing of paper topographic maps and will close the Canada Map Office. Our government wants to get out of the business of producing maps.

Many Canadians place a priority on the paper map service the Government currently provides. Natural Resources Canada's digital mapping policy will effectively cut off access to the majority of Canadians. However, our politicians see this issue as a minor one. ACMLA, which represents both the public and research communities, would like to convince them otherwise. This policy will have an enormous impact on the Canadian public and our map users. The Minister of Natural Resources has a responsibility to listen to our point of view. This is not a minor policy amendment but a major change that has implications not just for map librarians but for the ordinary Canadian who is looking for a map for their cottage or who wants to go snowmobiling or hiking. Canada can be a vast and unforgiving country without a map in hand.

How you can help: This is a political issue and we must get the message out to as many Canadians and organizations as soon as possible. An independent website has been set up to lobby and inform Canadians. ACMLA asks its members to support this initiative by sending emails to inform associations, university departments, schools, individuals, etc. of the Government of Canada's decision to abandon printing paper topographic maps. Let your M.P. and your Minister of Natural Resources know what their constituents think of this decision.

        Support Access to Maps for Canadians mapsforcanadians.ca
<http://mapsforcanadians.ca/>

        Heather McAdam
        GIS Coordinator
        Maps, Data and Government Information Centre
        Carleton University Library
        Email: Heather_McAdam@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Heather_McAdam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        Phone: 520-2600 ext. 8924

        Date: 18/09/2006