[kag] Thousand Islands cache description

  • From: Hoover <mlehotay@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:52:14 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, there are a few people who want to see this happen, so let's just
get started and see how much we can get organized. Below is partial info
for the event cache. If you want to help out, just pick something and do
it, and post back to the list. Also, feel free to make additions,
corrections, or suggestions to the info here.

Name: Admiralty Islands Splashdown
Type: Event Cache
Size: Other
Placed by: Kingston Area Geocachers
N 44=B0 xx.xxx W 075=B0 xx.xxx
In Ontario, Canada
Date: 16/10/2004 23rd? 30th?
Difficulty: 3 Terrain: 5

Short description:
We'll meet in Gananoque, rent a boat or two, and search for some geocaches
in the Thousand Islands. GeoGranny wanted to name this event "a three hour
tour." ;-)

Long description:
We need more info before we can fill in this part. Here are some random
thoughts. Feel free to write this up more nicely and repost it.

Bring plenty of water and snacks for yourself. If you are afraid of
getting sea sick, bring some gravol too.

Do we require boating licenses? Do we need to have at least one
experienced boater on board? Are we responsible for the safety of other
geocachers who show up for the event?

What marina should we rent from? Estimate of cost per person? We'll
probably need to reserve the boats with the marina, based on the number of
people we expect to show up.

Should we meet at the boat rental place, or maybe at a nearby park? Either
way, we'll need the coordinates before we post the cache description.

Info about the islands and waterways in Admiralty Islands, and a very nice
map, can be found here: http://www.paddle1000.com/guide/route3.htm

I am pretty sure admission to the Thousands National Park is free after
Thanksgiving, since it's off-season. All the caches we plan to search for
are on park islands.

If we find a nice spot, we may also hide a cache of our own. We'll need to
bring stuff for the cache. Dave has volunteered to supply an ammo box, and
Barb will give some trading items. We still need: Official geocaching
sticker, logbook, English & French cache manifesto ("You've found it,
intentionally or not..."), pens & pencils, ziplocks, trading items, and
maybe a travel bug.

Please post a note if you plan to attend. We need to know how many people
we will be so we can reserve the boat(s). Also mention what you can bring
for the cache, if anything.

Additional Hints: wear your life vest!