[kag] Re: Snooping by satellite | CNET News.com

  • From: "Steve Koopman" <skoopman1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:21:05 -0500

Free Float,

I agree with you...in part.  From a safety standpoint, in case an officer is
in need of assistance, or more practically, locating a 911 emergency address
to find the quickest route, it is a good thing.

However, some of you would be amazed how much a police administration can
treat front-line officers like children.  We often find it ironic that we
are entrusted to handle life-and-death situations and carry a potentially
lethal firearm, and yet if two officers decide to meet up for a few minutes
to talk about an incident they just responded to over coffee, you would see
their Sergeant writing them up or hounding their butts for such an
"outrageous" move.

Many officers face enough exterior stress from the job itself, and don't
need interior stress coming from knowing the fact that their every move is
being watched by the Sergeant at his desk, who may have nothing better to do
than cause grief.  I agree that an officer who is lazy or shirking his job
should be held accountable, but believe me when I say, at least in the city
of Kingston, this is a rare occurrence.  We are normally too busy on our 12
hour shifts (many times without a lunch break) to be afforded this luxury.
This is a debate that won't come to a conclusion anytime soon.

In short, I'm just jealous because I work behind a desk now and wouldn't be
able to play with the new GPS toys in the cruiser!!!     :)

Koop