[kag] Re: Public meeting in Harrowsmith next month

  • From: Graeme Watson <Graeme.Watson@xxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:29:15 -0500

You have to register for the event at: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I sent them an email saying they could contact me for info about local caching if they wanted to (I do own 3 caches close to Harrowsmith).
We will have to see if they respond.
-G

Lloyd Baker wrote:

It should read as the Eastern Ontario Geocaching Project.

The Canadian Ecology Centre under the banner of The Northern Ontario GPS Treasure Hunt has started to expand their successful project our way.

When you find a cache they have placed you will find a code word under the lid. You then go to the Geocaching Ontario website and log your find and this constitutes as "one ballot" in a draw for some great prizes. If I recall 2 years ago a Geocaching couple from Toronto won a $3,000 Kevlar Canoe, nice.

By the sounds of it, they are getting various local groups to place the caches for them and promote their areas. I know for a fact my area will have some out soon.

Here is a link for caches already out in the Bancroft area, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=OGPSTH .

All the info you will need should be in the Geocaching Ontario website.

See my local groups story below my signature.

Binrat

GPS treasure hunting is a new concept finding its way to Eastern Ontario
Public information meeting to be held later this month
By Tim Ruhnke, Journal Editor

GRENVILLE COUNTY ­ A new regional tourism initiative will be outlined at a public meeting to be held later this month.

Geocaching, or GPS treasure hunting, is a new concept which combines technology with sightseeing. Using a global positioning system (GPS) unit, tourists and local residents can locate caches containing natural and cultural heritage stories and information promoting attractions in the surrounding area. The caches will also have codes with which visitors can log onto a Web site and become eligible for cash and other prizes.

The regional project was initiated by the Renfrew County Community Futures Development Corporation and is receiving a grant from the Eastern Ontario Development Fund (EODF). Closer to home, the local partners are the Grenville Land Stewardship Council and the Ferguson Forest Centre as well as Grenville Community Futures Development Corporation (GCFDC), which delivers the federally-funded EODF program locally.

The partners will host a community awareness meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 7 pm at the Ferguson Forest Centre nursery office on County Road 44 just north of Kemptville.

GPS treasure hunting is being promoted as a four-season, low-cost tourism option which could attract day-trippers and longer-term visits to the region. Caches are planned for locations throughout much of Eastern Ontario.

In Grenville County, caches will be placed on crown land at the Ferguson centre in North Grenville and in Limerick Forest, near where the boundaries of Augusta and Edwardsburgh/ Cardinal townships and the Municipality of North Grenville intersect. The Friends of the Ferguson Forest Centre and the Limerick Forest Advisory Committee are expected to play significant roles in promoting the local geocaching.

Teri Devine, GCFDC's EODF administrator, said the caches will be deployed in late April or early May, in time for the upcoming summer tourist season.

She also noted each participating community futures development corporation will be supplied with up to four GPS units. Details on how the units will be made available to visitors who do not have their own global positioning systems have yet to be finalized.

The caches will be fully accessible throughout the year, according to Devine. Organizers are hoping the GPS treasure hunting program will become an ongoing attraction supported by tourism operators and the hospitality industry.

The concept is already in use in Northern Ontario.

At the Feb. 22 meeting, a presentation will be made by Bill Steer of Ontario Geocaching. "GPS treasure hunting promotes the wise use of trails and the technology leaves no ecological footprint," he stated in a news release. "Whether you are hiking, biking, bird watching, fishing, snowmobiling or in your car, you potentially could be using a GPS unit and be looking for the hidden caches," Steer added.

The presentation will be followed by discussion.

For more information on the concept, visit www.geocachingontario.com.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Campbell" <gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: "KAG" <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 11:28 PM Subject: [kag] Public meeting in Harrowsmith next month

Evening, folks.

A quick heads up for you all on an upcoming event that I'm not sure how
to interpret: the Frontenac Community Futures Development Corporation is
hosting a meeting of local interest groups and "tour operators" to
introduce them to geocaching. It sounds like they're planning to promote
the Frontenac County area as geocaching friendly. I've attached a PDF of
an ad that my wife passed along to me.

I have no idea what this "Easter Ontario Geocaching Project" thing is
that they mention, either. Unless it's something to do with this:
http://www.geocachingontario.com

I wonder if Jeremy and geocaching.com might have something to say about
this?

Cheers,
......G
Team Cruachan

**    Gordon Campbell                              **
**    Geek at Large and General Pain in the Butt   **
**    Proud member of KCAL: http://kcal.ca         **
**    gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx                           **
**    http://www.cruachan.ca/~gordon/blog/         **