[kada] Dispute

  • From: Paul Lee <cjrdad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:57:10 -0800 (PST)

        Dispute

          This is the actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with
Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. Radio
conversation released by the chief of naval operations, 10-10-95.

  CANADIANS:  Please divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a
collision.

  AMERICANS:  Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid
a collision.

  CANADIANS:  Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the
south to avoid a collision.

  AMERICANS:  This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR
course.

  CANADIANS:  No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

  AMERICANS:  This is the Aircraft Carrier US LINCOLN, the second largest ship
in the United States Atlantic Fleet. We are accompanied with three Destroyers,
three Cruisers and numerous support vessels. I DEMAND that you change your
course 15 degrees north.  I say again, that's one-five degrees north, or
counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.

  CANADIANS:  This is a lighthouse.  Your call.

  Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

  Paul