[KACT] spelling

  • From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KACT <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:18:07 -0500

I'm not the world's best speller, and I occasionally make mistakes
(especially when writing quickly)...but has anyone else noticed the dramatic
downfall in our students' ability to spell words correctly?  I had one girl
bring a lab procedure up to me the other day with "wathe" instead of
"water"...can they really not spell "water"?  I had the following as an
answer to a test question about why it's important to do multiple trials in
a lab: "So to make sher that nether whent rong or that one trial might be
of"   It makes me feel like I'm reading the Winnie the pooh book to my kids
where Owl spells things like that.  And these are the honors kids!  (And it
wasn't a one time occurance...there were many such answers!)

I've never taken points off for this kind of things as I was grading
"chemistry" not spelling or grammar...but this is getting bad!  What do you
guys do?

Kelly
kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx