[KACT] Re: spelling

  • From: Donna Bogner <dojbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:24:35 -0400 (EDT)

Of course, I taught in the Middle Ages...from the 1960s to 2000, but I expected
students' lab reports and written papers to come in with correct spelling,
grammar, and punctuation.  I was even made an honorary member of the English
Department because of this.  And this was BEFORE computers and spell check
software.  However, I gave students ample time to get this done.  Lab reports
were not due until two days after the labs were carried out.  Did I take off
points?  You bet, up to 10% of the total points possible, depending upon what
the assignment was.  I had rubrics that included this, even that far back in
history...before rubrics were "accepted practice".

You are right, Dave.  It's all a matter of expectation.

Donna Bogner, retired from
Hutchinson High School and
Wichita State University