[KACT] Re: scholarship

  • From: Terry Tinich <tinicht@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:40:19 -0600

I was a reader for the scholarships last year and I thought the questions were appropriate and kid answered thoughtfully. Keep them, unless someone has something specific to add.

Terry Tinich

Kelly Deters wrote:

We had about 10 students submit applications for the scholarship last year and were able to award one young lady $650 towards her future education.

Below is the info we sent out about it last year (to every KS HS). Anybody have any suggestions on how to do it differently or keep it the same for this year?

Kelly

A student scholarship is being offered by the KACT members.

 Eligibility:

·         Must be a graduating senior in the state of Kansas

· Must have completed general high school chemistry with a grade of at least a B

· Must be going to college (not necessarily in Kansas) to major in one of the following: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Education (this is not for pre-med students)

 Application Process:

In 1000 words or less, please address the following:

    * Why are you interested in chemistry?  For example: what about it
      interests you; did a specific person, event, experience or class
      influence your decision to study chemistry.
    * What do you hope to do with your chemistry degree?  What area of
      chemistry do you hope to pursue and what do you hope to
accomplish post college? Answer this question in the online application form <http://www.kschemteach.org/Scholarship/scholarship_application.htm>. (You may type it offline and then copy and paste it into the form).

Have your chemistry teacher fill out a recommendation online form <http://www.kschemteach.org/Scholarship/teacher_recommendation.htm>.

 Selection Process:

A panel of KACT members from each of our 5 regions across the state will select the awardee.

--
Terry J. Tinich
Chemistry/Physics Instructor