[KACT] Re: kact Digest V3 #9

  • From: "Duane Knoll" <dknoll@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:32:45 -0600

Our science curriculum was presented at the KACT conference last fall.  We
are a 3A school with limited to 12 sections of science offered per semester.
We moved physical science to the 8th grade.  The rules we have applied to
our counselor are:
Freshmen take Biology
Sophomores take Chemistry
Juniors and seniors may choose from the following year long and semester
classes to complete their 3rd science credit:
Human Anatomy and Physiology (year long course)
Physics (year long course)
Biology II (zoology), Biology II (ecology), Biology II (environmental
science), Biology II (genetics and microbiology) (semester courses taught
the same hour of the day, first two fall, second two spring)
The exception to the rule is that students that are identified as behind in
math or science in the middle school can take Biology A as freshmen and
Biology B as sophomores.  These two courses equal the content of Biology
spread out over two years.
This approach was modeled after our math department's attempt to deal with
the struggling student while preparing most of our students for the content
found on the state assessment given to sophomores.
I hope this gives you some options of how to adjust your offerings

Duane Knoll
Halstead High School

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:28:48 -0600
From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Course revamp questions

Our school is consolidating next year and may revamp the science
curriculum both to meet the new Regents requirements and just to make it
more significant for our students.  We now require physical science for
our freshman but Regents will not accept it.  As we will be either a
large 3A or small 4A school we cannot get too broad in our courses.  I
would like to know what other schools, esp smaller ones, are doing with
their curriculum?  Especially needed are 1) what do you require freshmen
to take -- is it a general required course, like Phys Sci, or are there
frosh options; 2) do you let sophs take chem (as it will now be required
by Regents requirements) or do you wait til they are juniors like we
currently do; 3) what junior+ courses do you offer, esp to the lower
"track" students.  We would like to offer earth science but are
limited/prohibited by certification (good old Kansas:  why can't we
get/keep science teachers but let's keep specializing certification!).
I'd appreciate any input from you all.

--
Terry J. Tinich
Chemistry/Physics Instructor

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Palmer" <bpalmer14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: Course revamp questions
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:57:01 +0000

We have been kicking around the idea of reversing the "normal" order for our
higher track students: 9th - physics (discovery/exploratory with no more
thanalgebra I math) then chemistry then biology (or biology then chemistry
just for the KS state assessments).

Cognitive devlopment makes sense - you can roll balls, pull rope or push
springs and get the (sorry) feel for the science rather than labelling bits
of cells and determining genetics which is more abstract.

Currently our lower track students can take earth science, biology, then
usually zoology/botany.  We have thought of some sort of health science
and/or some sort of environmental/technolgy science for the vocational jobs
that are in high demand.  Upper track is biology, chemistry, physics then AP
something.

Bruce Palmer

Leavenworth High School

From:  "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>

[...]