[KACT Officers] FW: [KACT] Re: Finals & Students

  • From: "Stockam, Angela" <adiskin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kact-officers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:16:15 -0600

Angela Stockam
Chemistry Instructor
USD 266 Maize High School
11600 W. 45th St. N.
Maize, Kansas 67101
316.722.0441 ext. 2253

________________________________

From: Stockam, Angela
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:09 PM
To: 'kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [KACT] Re: Finals & Students

At Maize, all the Chem I students take a 57 question multiple choice
final.  In addition to that, they all take part in a 5 day long
Qualitative Analysis Lab Final for analytical groups I, IV, and V.   In
my class, those two tests (the written and the lab final) account for
about 20% of their term 2 grade.  Combined, they can make or break a
student's grade.   I haven't really heard many complaints about having
to take the finals.  In fact, the lab final is pretty much a rite of
passage here and has developed quite a reputation.  Students are usually
frightened to death because of the "horror stories" the former chem
students share with them but when it is all said and done their journals
usually provide some pretty touching revelations.  Ultimately, I think
it is very valuable for most of them and I think they would agree!

Our biggest problem here is timing.  We are on Block 4 and our semester
doesn't end until January 13.  We had a 2 week break for Christmas and 9
days left in the semester when we returned.  The lab final takes up 5
days with 4 days left for finishing material, reviewing and checking in
lab drawers.

Angela Stockam
Chemistry Instructor
USD 266 Maize High School