[kaanalnet-discuss] Re: What does it mean that KaanalNet uses the Linux Containers (LXC)

  • From: "suresh kumar" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "sureshkvl" for DMARC)
  • To: "kaanalnet-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <kaanalnet-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 05:52:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Brian,
Great. Its ready to use.KaanalNet works based on REST API.You can use any REST
API client. (personally i prefer Google CHROME POSTMAN )
Please read in the below order,

1)
The workflow is explained here with simple example.
https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/Workflow2)
REST API Details are available in the below link, (it gives overview of all the
available  REST APIs  with
example)https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/RestAPI
3)SDN Topology  examples are available in the below
link,https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/Sdnexample
4)Traditional network examples are available in the below
linkhttps://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/Traditionalexample

5) To design your own topology,you need to understand the "Topology
Schema".https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/Schema

Thanks
Suresh.

Traditional networking Topology

| |   |   |   |   |   |
| sureshkvl/kaanalnetkaanalnet - Virtual Network Emulator for SDN and
traditional networks |
| |
| View on github.com | Preview by Yahoo |

|   |

On Thursday, 17 September 2015 10:06 AM, brian mullan
<bmullan.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Suresh the lxc container does get created wnd it is in the STOPPED state.
All commands were run with SUDO where indicated on the wikiOn Sep 16, 2015 9:40
PM, "suresh kumar" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Brian,
I acknowledge the issue. The issue was "tcpdump" optional package installation
failed in the lxc template, that was the reason.I just fixed and updated the
kaanalnet package(version - 0.1.0).
Now installation works without error.  I just tried, and attached the logs for
your reference.
you need to install the kaanalnet
again.https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/Troubleshooting

Thankssuresh.

On Thursday, 17 September 2015 6:18 AM, suresh kumar <sureshkvl@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Brian,
1. Are you running the installation as Root User?2. Also can you paste the
output of "lxc-ls --fancy" command.
Thankssuresh

On Thursday, 17 September 2015 4:22 AM, brian mullan
<bmullan.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

SureshOk... I've tried this now on 3 machines.   All are ubuntu 14.04 servers
and I followed the instructionsI used the instructions found
here:https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki/InstallationOn all three the
install errors out (see partial text below)Extracting templates from packages:
100% Current default time zone: 'Etc/UTC'
Local time is now:      Wed Sep 16 21:54:47 UTC 2015.
Universal Time is now:  Wed Sep 16 21:54:47 UTC 2015.
Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d
denied execution of stop.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of stop.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
initctl: Unknown job: ssh
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ECDSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ED25519 key; this may take some time ...
update-rc.d: warning: default stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match ssh
Default-Stop values (none)
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
mktemp: failed to create file via template
‘/home/bmullan/node_modules/kaanalnet/tmp.XXXXXXXXXX’: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package tcpdump (--configure):
 tcpdump
lxc_container: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1125 container creation
template for nodeimg failed
lxc_container: lxc_create.c: main: 271 Error creating container
nodeimgInstallLXCBaseContainer completed - result false= = = = = = = = any
clues what I might look at to get this to install okay?thanksBrian

Hi Brian,I dont have immediate plan. But definitely  i will bring in, once all
the planned features are completed,
Also i do have plan to bring Docker as well.
Please raise the questions, i am happy to answer.
Thankssuresh

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 11:26 PM, brian mullan
<bmullan.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Suresh

Are there any plans to take advantage of LXD in KaanalNet in the future also?
Unprivileged & Privilieged LXC container use ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Brian

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM, suresh kumar <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Brian,

Yes. I agree with you. Thats the main reason  to develop this.
KaanalNet also supports the traditional networking topology with self
configured router(Quagga stack runs).

I am started revamping the Wiki Page with more  SDN use cases , traditional
network topology use cases, mixed networks etc.

Please keep a eye on this.
https://github.com/sureshkvl/kaanalnet/wiki
kaanalnet.org

The only limitation is ,
KaanalNet supports only UBUNTU 14.04 +  OS..  (Note: I havent tested on other
Linux variants, it may or may not work).

thanks
suresh

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 10:33 PM, brian mullan
<bmullan.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Suresh

That will be awesome thanks.

Besides myself I'd seen a lot of people request full LXC containers in mininet
over the past couple years.   Not being
a programmer there wasn't much I could do until someone who is a coder added
the full LXC capability though.

It would have been great for that to happen and then be able to utilize that
with Maxinet, ODL etc

I'll get KaanalNet installed and start playing with it to see what all is
different from mininet.

brian

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM, suresh kumar <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Brian,
Mininet uses the network namespaces. KaanalNet uses the LXC.
Yes, kaanalNet utilizes the lxc-create,start,stop,clone etc  to create a nodes.
When you create a topology, the node is created a UBUNTU LXC container, which
can be accessible via SSH.
Yes. you can install any application as you want.
Thankssuresh.

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 5:51 PM, brian mullan
<bmullan.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the KaanalNet wiki page it says:
KaanalNet uses the Linux Containers (LXC), openvswitch, linux bridge and
ping,iperf(traffic utilities). KaanalNet is tested with OpenDayLight and POX
SDN controller. I'm just trying to clarify what "uses the Linux Containers
(LXC)" means.    Mininet uses the LXC terminology also but does NOT use the
linuxcontainers.org API for LXC.

Mininet uses only a "lightweight" linux container and not an LXC container
where you have a full OS running in the LXC container & sharing the kernel of
the host machine.

It would be great if KaanalNet really used the lxc-create, lxc-start, lxc-stop,
lxc-clone etc command set/API so it would be possible to install an actual
application into the KaanalNet network host/nodes.

Thanks for any clarification.

Brian