[k3] Re: Heroes

  • From: "Maribeth Bush" <mbush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:13:51 -0500

Gail,

Thanks so much for the resources - I love your focus on the positive... the
heroes.  That's a great balance for our inevitable duty to respond to our
students' questions about today's tragedy... even if the only answer we
might be able to offer is, "I honestly don't know."

As an elementary school counselor, the impact that today's shuttle disaster
might potentially have on my students is very much at the forefront of my
mind, as I'm sure it is for all my fellow educators throughout the country.
The events our country has experienced over the past several years, along
with currently being on the edge of war, and now a space shuttle vanishing
before our eyes - is a lot for us adults to process and come to terms with -
I can only imagine how extremely overwhelming it is for kids to wrap their
brains around.  I am certainly earning my keep these days!

Anyway, there are some great resources on the web that educators and parents
can use as guidelines in helping kids deal with disasters, such as today's.
I'm including the URLs of two from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/disastercomm.htm

http://www.aacap.org/publications/factsfam/disaster.htm

If I can dig up some others, I'll be sure to post them.

Take care,

Maribeth Bush, M.S.
School Counselor
Lunt School