  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:15:00 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

From: "Carla Beard" <carla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ConnectEng, newsletter from Web English Teacher
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:59:26 -0500

ConnectEng
January 26, 2004
------------------------------
Inside this issue:
    1. New pages at Web English Teacher
    2. Sites to check out
    3. Are you a cracked pot?
------------------------------
1. New Pages at Web English Teacher
    * Louisa May Alcott

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/alcott.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/alcott.html
      Biography and activities to support Little Women.

    * Judi Barrett

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/barrett.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/barrett.html
      Activities to support Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

    * Kate DiCamillo

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/dicamillo.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/dicamillo.html
      Activities to go with Because of Winn-Dixie, The Tale of
      Despereaux, and The Tiger Rising.

    * William Faulkner

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/faulkner.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/faulkner.html
      Ideas for teaching "Barn Burning," "A Rose for Emily,"
      and more.

    * Franz Kafka

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/kafka.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/kafka.html
      Ideas for teaching The Metamorphosis.

    * James Thurber

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/thurber.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/thurber.html
      Ideas for teaching "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"
      and other stories.

    * Thornton Wilder

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/wilder.html>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/wilder.html
      Biography, background, and activities for teaching "Our Town."

-------------------------------
2. Sites to Check Out

    * The Citation Machine

<http://landmark-project.com/citation_machine/cm.php>http://landmark-project.com/citation_machine/cm.php
      This page prompts users for the information needed and creates the
      citation. Good for books, interviews, electronic resources, and a
      variety of other sources.

    * Facilitating Reading Comprehension of Middle School Students

<http://learnweb.harvard.edu/2821/c3.cfm>http://learnweb.harvard.edu/2821/c3.cfm
      This article emphasizes teaching students about organizational
      patterns to facilitate their reading.

    * Holes Study Guide
<http://www.metromagazine.com.au/metro/studyguides/files/Holesscreen2.pdf>http://www.metromagazine.com.au/metro/studyguides/files/Holesscreen2.pdf
      This 4-page document includes a variety of activities to support
      reading the novel. It requires Adobe Acrobat Reader for access.

    * North Carolina Children's Book Award Program

<http://www.ncwiseowl.org/media/nccba.pdf>http://www.ncwiseowl.org/media/nccba.pdf
      This extensive document includes guides to many children's
      books. It requires Adobe Acrobat Reader for access.

    * Putting a Face to the Numbers: Revealing First-Hand Accounts
      of Historical Genocide
<http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/20040116friday.html>http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/20040116friday.html
      >From the New York Times: "In this lesson, students learn about
      how hearing about experiences of genocide can make an impact on
      students. Then, students create a text on the history of genocide,
      using first-hand accounts and other primary sources as the focus
      of the text."
-------------------------------
3. Are you a cracked pot?
      An inspirational story for tough days.

<http://www.webenglishteacher.com/text/waterbearer.txt>http://www.webenglishteacher.com/text/waterbearer.txt
-------------------------------
Pray for peace.

Carla Beard
Web English Teacher
<http://webenglishteacher.com>http://webenglishteacher.com
-------------------------------
This newsletter is copyright 2004, Web English Teacher.  Permission
is granted to forward it as long as this copyright notice is included.
---------------------------------

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html